Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Burbon Chicken (a.k.a. Candy Chicken)

The boys nicknamed this "Candy Chicken" since it was so yummy!


My friend Barbie Kate recommended this recipe to me.  (This girl looks like a Barbie doll I swear… maybe a cross between Barbie and the girl next door.  She rocks.  In fact, I’m convinced she has no idea she’s a hottie.  Where do these people come from??)  

Makes enough for thirds... not that I'd know.
 I almost skipped the recipe when I realized it didn’t have any veggies in it.  Normally I override recipes with my own adjustments the first time, but decided to play it pretty safe, and only adjust it using some of the approved suggestions from online.  I figure I can always serve veggies as a side!
I took the original recipe (from food.com), doubled the sauce and added cornstarch.  Here it is!
1.       Cut up 2 lbs chicken breast into bite-sized pieces, drop into a frying pan with 1 or 2 Tbsp oil and cook until slightly browned, remove from pan and set aside.
2.       Mix together the following in your hot pan until all the ingredients are dissolved.
a.       3 Tbs minced garlic
b.      ½ tsp ground ginger
c.       ¾ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
d.      ½ cup apple juice
e.      2/3 cup brown sugar
f.        ¼ cup ketchup
g.       2 Tbs cider vinegar
h.      1 cup water
i.         1 or 2 Tbsp cornstarch
j.        2/3 cup soy sauce
3.       Add the chicken pieces (and veggies if you choose), bring to a hard boil
4.       Reduce heat and simmer for 20 min
5.       Make rice in a rice cooker if you have one (I used 2 cups long grain rice with 3 ½ cups water in ours)
Thanks for the awesome recipe Barbie Kate!!

No comments:

Post a Comment