Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Day 1, Week 2 Oven-Baked Chicken

I know I know... no one likes to bake in the summer.  I'll for sure add this to the winter rotation, but I really don't think I can only eat it half the year.  This is a busy mom's friggin' DREAM recipe!   Easy prep, kids can help, clean up while it bakes, kids eat it.  What more could I ask for?  Maybe if the chicken would pour me a glass of wine and then give me a footrub that might help... but then again hubby loved it so much maybe I can enlist him for those things??

Does everyone know how to make shake 'n bake?  Here's how I do it... take your package of chicken and butterfly the pieces so they're thinner and cook easier.  Drop them in the plastic bag, add your breadcrumbs (both of these things come in the S'nB box) and then spin the bag so that air is trapped inside like a big ol' balloon.  Call the kids into the room and play the shake-it game with them until the chicken is mostly coated. 

Put the coated chicken in a pan (9x13 worked for me) and toss it in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes.  If you don't have a meat thermometer, get one.  You never have to worry about if the meat is done.  I really don't know how anyone survives without one.  Seriously, just get a digital cheep one.  You'll thank me.  Chicken should reach 165.


Baked Chicken

Yummy toppings


Top the baked chicken with spaghetti sauce (I probably used 1/3 bottle in total) and then top with a handful of mozzarella cheese.  Back into the oven it goes for 5ish minutes or until the cheese starts to melt and you simply can't wait a moment longer to eat this.  Use this time to steam a bowl of frozen broccoli or other veggie as a side dish so you're not tempted to eat pasta.  (Hey, mommies have to get into swimsuits too you know!)
Melted cheese, ready to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment