Sunday, December 11, 2011

Broiled Cod (even toddlers will eat!)

Tonight I was deep in a series of puzzles with the twins and didn't have time to think about dinner OR take photos.  However, I have to post this recipe since my boys absolutely inhaled the fish.  Inhaled.  Seriously.  OK, I have to admit that I had to convince one to try his first bite, but after that the plate was cleaned with no bargains, bribes or promises of dessert!  (Not that I'd EVER bargain/bribe over food... um...)

Kudos to Taste of Home for posting this recipe.  Adding this one to the meal rotation for sure!


In a large Ziploc bag, mix 1/2 cup Italian dressing, 1 tsp sugar, 1/4 tsp each of salt, garlic powder, curry powder, paprika and pepper.  Drop in 3-4 thawed cod fillets, seal bag and turn to coat.  Leave in fridge for 15-30 minutes, and keep turning the bag as you think of it.  (I always keep bags of frozen individually wrapped fish in the deep freezer for these kinds of meals.  It's a staple for us now.)

Drain and discard marinade; place the fillets on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray.  Broil 3 inches from heat for 10-12 minutes (check that the fish flakes easily with a fork when done) 

Original recipe suggests putting a teaspoon of butter on the top of the fish before serving, but frankly I didn't think it needed it.  Butter makes everything better, but I'd prefer mine in a Christmas cookie this time of year. 

I served the fish with a box of Chicken flavored rice roni with 1/4 tsp each of paprika and curry powder to match the flavors of the fish.  Steamed veggies rounded out the meal, and I had 4 clean plates at the end of the meal (NOT that we encourage the Clean Plate Club... really!)

No comments:

Post a Comment