Sunday, December 4, 2011

Jelly Shortbread Cookies

I have no idea where this cookie recipe originated as my mom has made them for years.  Now that I have my own family I can't seem to have Christmas without them.  I used to think my mom made them JUST for me, and then I realized that they were the favorites of many of my family members too.  Let me tell you, they're not the symmetrical holiday cookie that looks like it belongs in a magazine, but I DARE you to not love them!  They're a shortbread cookie base, with a candy coating made from jelly and a drizzle of almond icing.  To die for!

  1. Cream together two sticks butter (warmed to room temperature) and 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons of sugar.  Then slowly mix in a shy 2 1/2 cups flour (maybe remove a Tablespoon or two) until the batter resembles large crumbles
  2. dump mixture onto a piece of parchment paper
  3. Using the parchment paper, press the dough together and form a long brick.  
  4. Wrap brick in cling wrap and refrigerate a few hours.
  5. When the dough has chilled, remove it from fridge and then slice it into pieces about 1 cm thick (or less).
  6. Preheat your oven to 350, set out your slices on a cookie sheet and let warm up for 15-20 minutes (they'll be easier to manipulate once they've warmed)
  7. With your thumb, press in the center of the cookies until you've made a bowl-like shape in each of them.  The deeper each cookie, the more jelly you'll be able to use.  Note: I highly recommend using some sort of cooking pad or parchment paper between your cookies and your pan or you'll hate yourself for the mess!
  8. Spoon some jelly (My favorites are blackberry and raspberry) into the center of each cookie. 
  9. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
  10. Create frosting: 1 cup powdered sugar + 2 teaspoons almond extract + enough water to pour easily and drizzle over cooled cookies.  
  11. Step 1
    Step 2






Step 3, wrapped


Step 3 unwrapped



Steps 7 and 8

1 comment:

  1. I put a baking mat on my Christmas list. I don't really know what one does, I just think it looks cool.

    ReplyDelete