Thursday, June 2, 2011

Day 2, Week 2 Thai Chicken Satay

Props to my gal Lauren for calling my attention to this recipe.  I've had it in my cookbook for years and always passed over it with an "eh" reaction.  She sort of forced me to make it and I've been in love ever since.  It's even better than the original with the adjustments I've made here.  SPICE HATERS - keep reading since you only have one ingredient to omit.  Just because it's called Thai, doesn't mean you have to break into a sweat.  The kids inhaled dinner tonight.  Not sure if it was cool because dinner came on a stick or if it was because it involved dipping.  Whatever.  I don't actually care.  They ate every bite. 

Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons of fish sauce (find in the Asian section), 1/2 of a finely chopped onion, a Tbsp of freshly minced ginger, and juice and zest of a lime.  Add to a plastic bag along with a pound or so of chicken breasts cut into thin strips that are 2-3 inches long.  Let this yumminess marinate for an hour or two if you can (but if you're leaving it go all day while at work, cut back on the lime juice)

When you're ready to go, drop 15 or so wooden skewers into water to get them totally soaked.  Preheat your grill to 400, and then make your peanut sauce, which is a perfect task for little helpers to help stir. 

Sauce: 6-8 Tbsp coconut milk (today I was out so used half and half instead... coconut milk is better but this was a doable replacement) and 1/4 c creamy peanut butter, 2 Tbsp honey (plus a few dashes of crushed red pepper if you want spice).  Mix together and pour into single serving dishes at the table. 

Thread the chicken onto the skewers and then grill for 7-8 minutes turning, flipping and turning some more.  Basically, make pretty grill marks on everything. 

I love this served with a nice big romaine and cucumber salad.  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

2 comments: